Saturday, February 07, 2009

The beauty of Esther (esther 2:22-24)

When Queen Esther was faced with the impending destruction of her people, she knew she had to break the law to make a request to the King. Instead of panicking and focusing on the problem, she told Mordecai to fast and pray for three days before she goes to see the king.

This is amazing. It is a tremendous display of courage and faith. Such bravery can easily put Mel Gibson from Braveheart to shame. She is willing to sacrifice her life, reputation and good life.

Over the week, I was reflecting on my personal meaning of success. I shared that it is fulfillment and satisfaction. When I drill this down further, I realize that a lot of things can make me satisfied. A friend shared with me that value creation is his definition of success. I realize that it makes a lot of sense. When one adds and creates value in other people and the things (environment, work, etc) around you, you become useful. It makes you successful. It begins to make me wonder how do I make enhancement to my surroundings and the people I care about. I am not advocating that I am going to be Mother Teresa. But, somehow, I have a feeling that Mother Teresa derives her success in her ability to help the poor.

The reason why I shared this is that it seems Esther’s definition of success is about others. It is not about falling back to her wealth and status as Queen. Her heart to help others portray her true beauty. It is her success story. Besides her beauty, she displayed tremendous wisdom and effectiveness. Perhaps her three days of fasting give her time to assess her situation well and plan her steps. This can be seen in how Esther orchestrate the salvation of her people, despite facing oppositions in Haman.

Dear God, help me to have that reflexive reaction to turn to you in prayer. And grant me wisdom to solve life’s man-made problems. I also prayed that I may possess the strength and courage like Esther and Joshua (Joshua 1:9). Amen

-ed-

1 comment:

Nissi: The Lord my Banner. The one to whom we can rally and who fights for us, our champion. said...

Made adjustment to Joshua in the last line. It should be Joshua 1:9

ed