Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Joy is contagious and good

I learnt 2 things about joy as I read an article by Spurgeon on Philippians.

This blessed grace of joy is very contagious
It is a great privilege, I think, to meet a truly happy man, a graciously happy man. My mind goes back at this moment to that dear man of God who used to be with us, years ago, whom we called "Old Father Dransfield." What a lump of sunshine that man was! I think that I never came into this place with a heavy heart, but the very sight of him seemed to fill me with exhilaration, for his joy was wholly in his God! An old man and full of years, but as full of happiness as he was full of days; always having something to tell you to encourage you. He constantly made a discovery of some fresh mercy for which we were again to praise God. O dear brethren, let us rejoice in the Lord, that we may set others rejoicing!

Joy in the Lord is influential for good
There are many more flies caught with honey than with vinegar; and there are many more sinners brought to Christ by happy Christians than by doleful Christians. Let us sing unto the Lord as long as we live; and, maybe, some weary sinner, who has discovered the emptiness of sinful pleasure, will say to himself, "Why, after all, there must be something real about the of these Christians; let me go and learn how I may have it."

-ed-

1 comment:

Anna said...

God's working in us and we are working out. Working in and out. May God's Grace shines through us and let people around us be curious and find out the true happiness that sustains us.