Sunday, July 19, 2009

Nissi: Pls take some time to read

Hi everyone,

I understand that there has been some concern regarding the state of our cell group recently. Please take some time to read my thoughts when you are free.

Personally, as I continue to serve the cell group, I would like to state my stand on certain issues.

Cell group future

I sincerely hope that the topic of splitting will not be raised within cell group for the time being as we begin this rebuilding process. We have worked hard to make the cell group what it is today, please do not destroy what we have built by requesting for the cell group to split once again.

With regards to whether cell group carrying on or not, I am not entertaining any ideas of splitting and will definitely plan as if Nissi will carry on to function. The idea of a merge is also out.

Let me explain the rational.

Our strength is not only in numbers. As Hebrews 10:24 states, the community of believers are called to spur one another on is love and good deeds. The function of the cell group is for believers to spur one another on in their love with God and good deeds. If our cell group has a large number of people but still does not serve to encourage one another, I guess we have missed the biblical basis for cell group.

I understand that some people feel that the cell group is getting too small and wish to see a merge if possible. As we are in this rebuilding phase, I urge you to be patient and allow the Lord to add to our numbers once again. If however you feel that the numbers are too discouraging for you to grow spiritually, then I suggest that you leave for another cell group. Ultimately, I really pray that for any cell group a person attends, the cell group must enable him/her to grow spiritually and be spurred to love God and do good deeds. (back to the function of a cell group)

The idea for a merge is also out because I believe that our cell group will be divided when it comes to choosing a new cell to merge with. A merge will probably be as good as splitting up. This will create even more problems for the cell group.

Church events

Secondly, I do wish to see our cell group members be part of the larger community of Christ. As believers, we have not only a responsibility to one another( Heb 10:24), we also have a corporate responsibility.

Biblical basis:

1 Cor 12:27 tell us that “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.”

1 Cor 12:21 “ Now the eye cannot say to the hand “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet “I don’t need you!””

Drawing a principle from this verse, we as a cell group cannot flee from our corporate responsibility to the church. If we are part of COR which is the body of Christ, we cannot say that we do not want to be involved in the church events because they are not important. No, we are all part of the body Christ and each member has a role to play.

While I cannot enforce everyone to come for every church event, I sincerely hope that we understand why our presence at any church event is important. It is not only our corporate responsibility as a body of Christ but also our presence will affect the morale of other members as well.

Cell Attendance

As discussed on Sat’s cell group(18 July), we all have shared how critical each person is to the cell group because of small numbers. Noting this, I urge everyone to make cell group a priority. Remember that when choose to make cell group a priority, we are effectively obeying God and I believe that the Lord is pleased.

Final Notes

As we begin this rebuilding phase of our cell group, I urge everyone to make cell group and church a priority as Heb 10:24 and 1 Cor 12:27 commands. I pray that your presence in cell group will not be one out of obligation and rules, but because Christ has loved us so that we may be able love our neighbor as ourselves (2nd commandment Matt 22:39). Let us strive to please the Lord in this area of our lives.


Some verses of encouragement

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honour one another above yourselves. Romans 12:9-10

Rgrds,

Ruijie


No comments: