Wednesday, August 05, 2009

What wounds has God left you with that make you constantly dependent upon him?

I was reading Genesis 32 on the account of Jacob being transformed completely and finally convinced that blessing can only be obtained from God. His total change of characters from Jacob to Isreal was brought about through costly personal struggle.

The question, "What wounds has God left you with that make you constantly dependent upon him?" was the question asked in the devotional material relating to this passage. When I asked myself this question, I instantly thought of my BGR (boy-girl-relationship) in the past. To cut the stories short, all of them just turned away all of a sudden, or maybe they just "dumped me", so to speak. That made me wonder or even conclude that there was something wrong with me. This has definitely left scars on me, making me numb and phobic. But the healing came from God. The experience made me realise that no matter what I do, I am not in control but God is. In fact, these are occasions when God drew me closer to Him step by step and sent people around me to show His love for me. All these have left me dependent on God completely and not to take matters into my own hands.

That question also reminds me of a testimony that I heard from a church friend few years ago. Though it may not really be a wound for her, but it's a struggle that made her depend on God thereafter.

She is a talented, capable American. A mother of four, obtained scholarship to study African language, worked as a translator for the embassy, can speak fluent German. She said that God has always just been the icing on the cake. But one winter, her view changed completely. It was snowing heavily. Her son was having high fever and she needed to send him to hospital urgently. However, she couldn't start the car because of the cold, there was no one in sight, she couldn't contact her husband and it seemed that it's the end of the world. She said she was so helpless and clueless but it's at that particular point that she realised she was so powerless but God was powerful. Eventually her prayer was answered and everything was fine.

Reluctant to admit, but it's true that through ordeals that we learn to depend on God.

Anna

1 comment: