Monday, January 26, 2009

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

I have been brought to the attention of this parable several times for this past two months: I read about it in the evangelistic materials; I listened to it in the Christmas musical; I read about it during quiet time; I read about it even when I was reading the notes on the Law of Tort. Surely, I know the emphasis here is for me to remember that I should love my neighbour.

In the parable of the Good Samaritan, Jesus said:

36"Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers' hands?"

37And he said, "The one who showed mercy toward him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do the same."

(Luke 10 v36-37, NASB)

From the lecture notes, it is stated in DONOGHUE VS STEVENSON [1632] HL that:

"You must take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions which you can reasonably foresee would be likely to injure your neighbor. Who, then, is my neighbor? The answer seems to be – persons who are so closely and directly affected by my act that I ought reasonably to have them in contemplation as being so affected when I am directing my mind to the acts or omissions which are called in question."

The definitions of "neighbour" are slightly different. The later is a more restricted one. One is on offering help, the other is on not inflicting harm. However both are about caring and loving each other.

To love our neighbour is not easy. I think before one can really love, one must first forgive. Last year, I couldn't bring myself to forgive some people who acted selfishly and did things to hurt me. I didn't want to see them at all. The sight of them just made me shiver. Surprisingly, I find myself being able to forgive them this year. My attention has been directed to the word "Forgiveness" in many occasions. If God can forgive our sins, why can't I forgive others? After being able to do so, I feel less burdened.

Hoi Yan

1 comment:

edconomist@gmail.com said...

Forgiveness is tough. Personally, I think if one gets bitter easily and remember negative things very well, it will be hard to forgive. But, if one just wants to live a good life and just wants to have good memories or just want to be efficient, he will forgive and move on. I think it is quite easy if one thinks about it this way.
- Edmund C