Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Persevering Spirit

was reading Nehemiah a few times this week. What a wonderful book! So many lessons you can get from this book. It seems like almost every passage jumps out at me when i read it. I will share one lesson i learn - perseverance.

Neh 4 & 6 are really amazing. I will focus on these verses v 14, 19, 20.

[v14]...Don't be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome,

[v19 & 20]...The work is extensive and spread out, and we are widely separated from each other along the wall. Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us!”

Nehemiah is so focused on God. When he faced a big problem, he further magnify God. He knows that God is not one who walks on crutches. He knows God is great and awesome. He knows God will fight for us.

Personal Application

When i faced certain problems like work or personal issues, i often look at the problem. Sometimes, i get immobilized and use "eye" and "heart" power to try to wish the problem will be solved by itself.

But, i have learnt to go past the 'immobilization' step and take an active role in solving the problem. I have to become less problem-centric but more problem -solving centric. Although, the problem do not get solved overnight. But, at least i try.

It definitely takes a lot of perseverance. In the past, I will give up if i cannot solve the problem. I am one of those students who will immediately look at the worked solutions when i cannot solve the Maths problem. Why work so hard when there is a solution in the next page? I didn't realize that this problem became a nasty habit of mine.

Now, i realize i cannot go on like that. I want to solve problems. I want to persevere. I want to be Nehemiah and those builders and use every ounce of their strength to press on and finish the task at hand.

I hope i can be like them.

Ed

No comments: