Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Good appearance, good heart

Recently I've recovered a bookmark given to me by a friend whom I've known since my internship. She has really sowed seeds for me to know Christ by talking me to across the toilets almost every night. (The layout of the hostel was that there was a common toilet in between two rooms. Both rooms have access to the toilet from either room.) I think I got that bookmark from the toilet door to my room.

Anyway, that's a bookmark with a Bible verse on it:

"For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

1 Samuel 16:7

It didn't appeal to me when I received that bookmark. I just thought that's cool. A bookmark with a German Bible verse on it and my friend wrote some touching words behind together with the translations of the verse. But when I read it now, it speaks much to me.

I was at first quite disturbed and felt helpless by this verse. I am naturally drawn to good appearance. That may make me look shallow, but I must admit that appearance is definitely something that bothers me. When I am walking on the street and come across some handsome guys or girls, I will definitely take a longer glance. It's just natural. I believe that's also natural for many people. So why shouldn't we look at the appearance?

I finally checked out the whole story from which the verse was taken from. The story was about Samuel anointing the King chosen by the Lord. All the sons of Jesse appeared before him. Samuel saw Eliab and thought that this was the one to be anointed because of his appearance. But the Lord told Samuel that that was not the one and so came that verse. Later on, the Lord told Samuel the one that He has chosen. It came out that this chosen one is "ruddy, with bright eyes, and good-looking". Therefore, the one that the Lord has chosen not only has good look but also a good heart. So essentially, it's not telling me not to look at good look , it's just that the person must have a good heart also.

I always believe that there is a link between the appearance and the heart. A person can have nice features: the nose can be very straight, big eyes, good complexion...but if the heart is not good, the combination of all these attractive features will not form a good appearance. I will just feel that somehow something is not right and it's not comfortable to look at. On the other hand, there are people with average features yet the whole combination is nice and peaceful to look at.

So after all, it's not wrong for me to look at the appearance. I am not looking at the outward appearance only, but I try to see beyond the outward appearance and know the heart of the person. =)

Yan

7 comments:

edconomist@gmail.com said...

Inevitably, having a pleasant outward appearance helps in certain way. It creates a catalyst or even an easy reason for person to do certain things.

However, it can only get a person this far. What matters is the character and the heart. This is the substance behind the style. It makes things sustainable.

let me illustrate. I can like this girl for her outward features. But, my relationship with her can only last if i am on the same frequency and i like her heart (i.e. values and characters). That is how i will approach relationship

Anonymous said...

Well, of course I was not saying that the good general outward appearance is what attracts me and what I am looking for in my boyfriend or husband.

Maybe I should put it in another way: a person's heart is reflected in the outward appearance. I believe there is no escape to this. If a person has a good heart, the beauty will just radiate outwards and this truly enhances the whole outward appearance. I have this belief since many years ago when I met a lady on the street. She was just general looking. But she gave me a very warm, sincere smile that really struck me as what true beauty was. It was beauty with depth.

For relationship, I think I need to admit that I am looking more on "chemistry". That lumps all the many different things that I am looking for, which are in fact, a lot. HAHA.

Anonymous said...

I think that kind of smile and beauty originate with "godliness with contentment". It's not easy to achieve. I wish I can do that one day...

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say "originate from"....not "originate with"...

edconomist@gmail.com said...

ha.agreed.

i have known of guys + girls who have that inward charisma/personality tt draws pple. Some are good looking; some are not. Some are smart, some have a good heart. It is just a combination of many that makes the person.

Ultimately, as one friend shares with me, it is the Holy Spirit in me that makes me attractive to everyone.

I think this is a profound and yet unabashedly true statement. And it gives a nice spiritual touch to what we are discussing here.

Anonymous said...

Ha, I have not heard of this statement: the Holy Spirit in a person that makes one charming. It definitely adds a spiritual touch to the discussion. That's a good one.

edconomist@gmail.com said...

haa.initially, i made quite a few jokes when my friend told me. Then, i realize that there are some profound truths.