Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Does Anyone Know about This?

I found such deep purpose and meaning and fulfillment in seeking Christ that I was compelled to ask the girl who led me to Him, "Does anyone else know about this?" She laughed, "Of course," she replied "why do you ask?"

"You mean all those people sitting in church knew about this and they never went out of their way to tell me?"

I have never recovered from the shock. How anyone who truly knows Christ can ever sleep more than four hours a night beats me. How can we who know the answers to the eternal why in people;s hearts do anything other than continually share it with others? we myst "go into all the world" and tell what we know. How can I wtch people filling their lives with water when I own the wine cellar? How could I find the cure for cancer and keep the secret to myself> Not me! The fact that we have the answers is just too exciting, too important not to share

---------------------

The above is quoted from a book i am reading now. These paragraphs struck a chord of guilt within me. Why am i not actively sharing the greatest treasure from others? What is holding me back?

This has been my struggle for a long time. I have to admit evangelism just do not come naturally to me. Often, the gift of the gab fails me when i engaged in spiritual or christian conversations with people. Sometimes, it can be that I lack the desire to share. And this could be due to fear of men, bo-chup attitude or simply lack of motivation.

However, i can see the reason why it is so important to engage in evangelism. Firstly, it is very clear in the bible. John 3:18 "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." Definitely, God has made it very clear. There is going to be a distinct line drawn between the believers and unbelievers. There is no middle ground.

Secondly, believing in Jesus promises eternal life and blessings. It is the greatest treasure that one can ever possess and guess what, this treasure can be given freely to anyone who wants it. Women can crave for diamonds and men can dream of getting a Ferrari. But, nothing beats having Jesus in your life.

So, it does make a lot of sense to share the gospel. But, one has to be wise in going about in this. You cannot always use a one-size-fit-all approach of always proclaiming the gospel. In this post-modern world, we cannot force the gospel down the throat of unbeliever. Constant proclaimation can turn out to be a turn-off instead of being fruitful. We cannot separate the message from the methods. The end does not justify the means. We have to pray and seek the Holy Spirit's guidance in evangelism.

To conclude, evangelism is such a massive portion of God's heart. It is also not easy. However, I pray that we will not give up. I pray that God will constantly enlarge my heart; to have the desire for the lost. May God help us!

-ed-

1 comment:

Anna said...

I also pray that I am able to set my heart free so that I am responsive to God's calling to reach out those who are yet to know God. Very often we are too tied down by our own busy-for-nothing and worry-for-nothing kind of daily chores and forget this mission of reaching out.