Saturday, October 17, 2009

e-sword

Much has been discussed about "sword" recently in our cell because our dear sister Brenda's name means "sword' and she is a bit fastidious about it. No doubt the inituitive interpretation of the meaning of sword is a bit negative, yet I think I am compelled to write something positive about "sword".

I've been introduced to a Bible study software called "e-Sword" from my keyboard worship class for quite awhile. I wasn't drawn to using it immediately, neither have I appreciated its value at all. This is mainly because I've tried to search for software to have a PC version of the Bible and though there are many free software available on the web, I was just not drawn to either one and in a way, I have given up on this. So when I downloaded this version because I wanted to check out the meaning of a word in the Bible from that software, as instructed by the facilitator, I didn't really spend time exploring it.

Until this morning, I suddenly remember that the facilitator has mentioned that the word "Shema" means "hear intelligently" as stated in the Srong's definition in that software. So I decided to just check it out out of curiosity. I can't remember how eventually I ended up going to the e-Sword website and ended up finding the "treasure" hidden inside this software (I downloaded the application file from the school website so didn't check out the website of this software). I found that there are really quite a number of Bible commentaries offered by this software and they are FREE! What's most attractive is that the software enables me to cross-reference the different versions of Bible available for downloading and the different Bible dictionaries and commentaries as compared to me opening so many windows as what I have been doing previously. That's exactly what I want and what I need now!

The website is:


I believe that other software offers similar things, just that I didn't explore them because I have to pay before I can explore them. This e-Sword offers many resources for free, not even a trial period is stipulated and it definitely helps to facilitate understanding the Word of God.
So hope you will check it out.

e-Sword's long definition is "the Sword of the Lord with an electronic edge". My perception of "Sword" has definitely changed after today's discovery of e-Sword.

And this "Sword of peace" as in "Brenda Shiloh" or "Shiloh Brenda", probably another positive connotation of "Sword", I suppose.

Anna

1 comment:

Ed said...

Nice...I am definitely gg to download